[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Propeganda

Niels Aan de Brugh nielsadb at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 20:22:49 EDT 2008

brian wrote:
>> Here's an error the Haskell run-time system might throw:
>> *** Exception: Prelude.head: empty list
>> (or whatever)
>>
>> So now what? Action plan = [].
>>

> http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/blog/2007/11/14

Thank you for the URL, but I'm aware of the work in GHC(i). As I've
mentioned in my previous e-mail the tooling is definitely not on-par
with something like Visual Studio, or perhaps Eclipse for Java. And by
not on-par I mean it's miles away from the same level. Microsoft
engineers have surely done a good job in the Visual Studio 2005 debugger
and unfortunately Microsoft Research doesn't have the same resources to
work on the Haskell debugger. Referring to the OP: if Haskell is ever to
become a mainstream language (and I certainly hope it will!) an IDE and
integrated visual debugger is a must. Until then, perhaps is better to
be conservative when kicking on the C language, it has survived worse
storms (and not because it's the better language).

Regards,
Niels