[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Speed Myth

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Tue Aug 26 14:01:28 EDT 2008

igouy2:

> --- Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
>
> -snip-
>
> > So still consolidating the system.
>
> Pretty much.
>

> > Do I understand though, that if we submit, say, a quad-core version
> > of
> > binary-trees, for example, using `par` and -N4, it'll go live on the
> > benchmark page?
>
> That's an open question - should it?
>
> How should the benchmarks game approach multicore?

Well, there's a famous paper,

    Algorithm + Strategy = Parallelism

I'd imagine we use the benchmark game's algorithms, but let
submitters determine the strategy. Then the results would show

    a) how well you utilize the cores, and
    b) overall wall clock results.

I'm keen to get going on this, if only because I think we can turn out
parallelised versions of many of the existing programs, fairly cheaply.

-- Don