[Haskell-cafe] two problems with Data.Binary and Data.ByteString

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Tue Aug 26 18:31:02 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

> No, since I can get whnf with `seq`. However, that does sound like a
> good idea (a patch to the parallel library? )

I suspect that patching parallel doesn't scale. It doesn't have a
maintainer, so it will be slow, and the package will end up dragging
in everything under the sun if we centralise instances in there. I
think that the instance belongs in bytestring instead. I know that
this would make everything depend on parallel, but that doesn't seem
as bad a problem.