[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Top Level <-

Adrian Hey ahey at iee.org
Wed Aug 27 04:54:37 EDT 2008

Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> I've also written quite a few hosted and non-hosted device drivers (in C).
> None of them have any global variables.

The point is to be able to properly model, understand and if necessary
implement *entire systems* without using "global variables" (allegedly).

You can always define sub-system boundaries in such a way that you can
claim that this/that or the other sub-system, device driver or whatever
does not use "global variables" if you put the global variables
somewhere else and pass a reference to the sub-system concerned.
We could play that game with Data.Unique, for example.

Regards
--
Adrian Hey