[Haskell-cafe] Haskell symbol ~

C.M.Brown cmb21 at kent.ac.uk
Wed Aug 27 15:51:39 EDT 2008

I personally think it's bad to start using "let-patterns" as a synonym for
general pattern bindings when explaining these concepts. It may be
true that it's all transformed into the same thing at core level, but a let
expression binds a definition at the expression level, rather than at the equation level;
it becomes difficult when we have guards, for example:

f pat1
  | pat1 == x = x
  | pat2 == e2 = x
     where Just x = ...
f pat2 = ...

g pat1
  | pat1 == let Just x = ... in x = let Just x = ... in x
  | pat2 == e2 = let Just x = ... in x
g pat2 = ...

In theory x is lazy in f, but computed twice in g. The only way to make
the two the same is to introduce a case expression within a let binding
-- but then you have to start thinking about things like uncurrying g
if it has multiple parameters and its implications with partial applications.
Most decent compiler implementations would make a closue for x anyway (if
it's a big enough expression to compute), but I think it's certainly worth
making the distinction, otherwise new people are going to start thinking
they need to define everything using "let" clauses rather than "wheres"
for laziness.

Regards,
Chris.