[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Top Level <-

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Wed Aug 27 22:32:00 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:15:10AM +0100, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> I didn't say NetBSD doesn't use global variables, I said the device
> driver model doesn't use global variables.  And quite a few things
> that used to be in global variables have been moved into allocated
> variables and are being passed around instead.  That's simply a better
> way to structure the code.

Indeed. I have experimented with single address space operating systems where
it is pretty much the only way to do things at the user level. But I
still want to be able to implement my kernel in haskell. :)

> I don't don't think global variables should be banned, I just think
> they should be severly discouraged.

Oh, I certainly agree with that. especially among new programmers. I
think ACIO is a particularly elegant way to provide them in haskell for
when they are needed. Every time I can avoid resorting to C code for a
task without sacrificing performance, aethetics, or correctness, it is a
good day.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈