[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Propeganda

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 28 09:49:49 EDT 2008

On 2008 Aug 28, at 2:41, Don Stewart wrote:
> ketil:
>> The great thing about Maybe is that once I've checked it isn't
>> Nothing, I can extract the value and dispense with further checks.
>>
>>  foo mbx = maybe default (bar x) mbx
>
> And GHC will warn me when I forget to check all cases, and prevent me
> from compiling at all, if I don't do any check.

...unless you use fromJust.

GNU ld supports "pragmas" which cause the use of certain functions to
output warnings at link time (try compiling a C program that uses
gets()).  It occurs to me that this, either in compiler or linker,
would be a nice thing for ghc to do when using fromJust or other
partial functions.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu