[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Top Level <-

Adrian Hey ahey at iee.org
Thu Aug 28 17:01:29 EDT 2008

Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Adrian Hey wrote:
>
>> implicit parameters (a highly dubious language feature IMO).
>
> How can you say that with a straight face at the same time as advocating
> global variables? :-)

Quite easily, what's the problem? IORefs, Chans etc are perfectly
ordinary values. Why should they not exist at the top level?

The "global variable" lives in "the world", not the IORef. The
IORef is just a reference, no different from filepaths in principle
(and if having them at the top level is also evil then making this
so easy and not screaming about it seems a little inconsistent to me).

Regards
--
Adrian Hey