[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Top Level <-

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Thu Aug 28 18:48:04 EDT 2008

As I said earlier, global variables may be necessary when interfacing
with legacy things (software or hardware).

If Haskell had always taken the pragmatic path of adding what seems
easiest and most in line with imperative practice it would not be the
language it is today.  It would be Perl, ML, or Java.
The Haskell philosophy has always been to stick it out until someone
comes up with the right solution to a problem rather than picking some
easy way out.  So I'd rather keep global variables being eye sores (as
they are now) to remind us to keep looking for a nice way.
For people who don't like this philosophy there are plenty of other languages.

And this concludes my contributions on this matter. :)

  -- Lennart