[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Top Level <-

Adrian Hey ahey at iee.org
Thu Aug 28 20:10:43 EDT 2008

Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> The Haskell philosophy has always been to stick it out until someone
> comes up with the right solution to a problem rather than picking some
> easy way out.

I understood from your previous remarks that you regarded this as a
non-problem even in C. There's no justification for using them, at
least if you have clean slate priveleges (no legacy issues).

That kind of implies to me that we (or at least you) already have the
right solution. What is it and why can't we use it right now in Haskell?
(Again assuming we have clean slate and no legacy issues). Or can we..

> So I'd rather keep global variables being eye sores (as
> they are now) to remind us to keep looking for a nice way.

Are you looking? I can't even figure out from your posts if you're even
prepared to admit that there *is* a problem, other than there being so
many people in the world who can't write proper code, in Haskell or C
:-)

Regards
--
Adrian Hey