[Haskell-cafe] Cabal

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Dec 1 03:48:48 EST 2008

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-11-30 at 21:14 +0100, Henning Thielemann wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Nov 2008, Don Stewart wrote:
>>
>>> lemming:

>>> Good idea. Duncan?
>>
>> After I finished that article, I also found:
>>    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/wiki/CabalInstall
>
> I'm trying to work out what the best thing is to do with the Cabal
> documentation. Currently it's kind of patchy and spread over about three
> sites. There's the http://haskell.org/cabal website, the dev wiki and
> trac and the pages on the main Haskell.org wiki.

... and it's divided into cabal and cabal-install documentation. Though,
this separation might also be sensible.

> I think ideally we'd have all the user documentation on the cabal
> website, including the docs for cabal-install. Unless people think
> that's a silly idea and we should just put everything on the haskellwiki
> system.

For me, access to HaskellWiki is the easiest, because I have no access to
haskell.org/cabal I think. :-) In general people might like to add
personal comments about cabal, which is best done in the wiki. E.g. if you
solve a problem you can quickly add that solution to the FAQ. I don't mind
having an official "static" site like haskell.org/cabal which points to a
"dynamic" haskellwiki/Cabal and vice versa, but I think another page at
haskell.org/trac is redundant.