[Haskell-cafe] ANN: "Real World Haskell", now shipping

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 3 14:53:31 EST 2008

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On 2008 Dec 2, at 14:44, Andrew Coppin wrote:
>> Regardless, it has been my general experience that almost everything
>> obtained from Hackage fails miserably to compile under Windows.
>> (IIRC, one package even used a Bash script as part of the build
>> process!) I haven't seen similar problems on Linux. (But I don't use
>> Linux very often.) About the worst problem there was Gtk2hs being
>> confused about some Autoconfig stuff or something...
>

> Many packages assume you have the msys / mingw stuff installed on
> Windows (if they work at all; those of us who don't develop on Windows
> wouldn't really know how to go about being compatible).

According to the Cabal experts, the issue is that Windows doesn't have a
"standard" place for keeping header files like the various POSIX
environments typically do. That means anything that binds an external C
library (i.e., almost all useful Haskell packages) don't easily work on
Windows. I'm not sure what the solution to this is...