[Haskell-cafe] manipulating predicate formulae

Immanuel Normann immanuel.normann at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 4 20:49:35 EST 2008

Hi,

you can browse my code
here.<http://trac.informatik.uni-bremen.de:8080/hets/browser/trunk/Search/Common>It
has become part of
Hets <http://www.dfki.de/sks/hets> the Heterogeneous Tool Set which is a
parsing, static analysis and proof management tool combining various tools
for different specification languages.
However, let me warn you: the code isn't yet well documented at parts also
ad hoc. Don't know whether it can help to solve your tasks.
The goal of my normalization code is to bring formulae via equivalence
transformations and alpha-renaming into a standard or normal form such that
for instance the following three formulae become syntactically identical
(i.e. not just modulo alpha equivalence or modulo associativity and
commutativity):

\begin{enumeratenumeric}
  \item $\forall \varepsilon . \varepsilon > 0 \Rightarrow \exists \delta .
  \forall x. \forall y. 0 < |x - y| \wedge |x - y| < \delta \Rightarrow | f
  (x) - f (y) | < \varepsilon$

  \item $\forall \varepsilon . \exists \delta . \forall x, y. \varepsilon >
0
  \Rightarrow (0 < |x - y| \wedge |x - y| < \delta \Rightarrow | f (x) - f
(y)  | < \varepsilon)$

  \item $\forall e . \exists d . \forall a,b. e > 0
  \wedge |a - b| < d \wedge 0 < |a - b| \Rightarrow | f (a) - f (b) | < e$
\end{enumeratenumeric}

Cheers,

Immanuel