[Haskell-cafe] Can't cabal install readline

Philip Weaver philip.weaver at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 17:46:20 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Judah Jacobson <judah.jacobson at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Martijn van Steenbergen
> <martijn at van.steenbergen.nl> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > This week I upgraded to GHC 6.10 using the .pkg installer. It installed
> > without a single hiccup -- thanks!
> >
> > I've noticed two odd things: the standard library haddock that comes with
> > the installer doesn't have links to the hs-coloured sources anymore (and
> > neither does the online documentation); I miss that a lot. I also can't
> > Ctrl+R anymore in GHCi to search my command history. But I can learn to
> live
> > without those.
>
> The following instructions should re-enable Ctrl-R:
>
> http://mult.ifario.us/p/editrc-tidbit-for-ghci
>
> > Another minor inconvenience is that the packages I had installed (using
> >  cabal) are no longer available to GHC -- I think I will have to
> reinstall
> > them. But I cannot continue working on my Yogurt project anymore, because
> it
> > depends on readline, which fails to build:
> >
> > <snip>
> > checking for rl_readline_version... yes
> > checking for rl_begin_undo_group... no
> > configure: error: readline not found, so this package cannot be built
> > See `config.log' for more details.
> > cabal: Error: some packages failed to install:
> > Yogurt-0.2 depends on readline-1.0.1.0 which failed to install.
> > readline-1.0.1.0 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
> > exit: ExitFailure 1
>

> The above happens because GHC is using the OS X default installation
> of libreadline.a which is actually a link to libedit that doesn't
> implement the full readline API.
>
> If you already have the MacPorts readline, you just need to tell cabal
> where it is, with (for example)
>
> cabal install readline --extra-include-dirs=/opt/local/include
> --extra-lib-dirs=/opt/local/lib

If you'd like, you can add /opt/local/include to your shell's INCLUDE_PATH
and/or C_INCLUDE_PATH environment variables and /opt/local/lib to your
LIBRARY_PATH and/or LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables.  I say "and/or" because I
don't know which one is actually necessary, but if you add it to both you'll
be safe.

- Phil