[Haskell-cafe] Fun with type functions

Hugo Pacheco hpacheco at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 18:18:37 EST 2008

Pointless Haskell a library for point-free programming with recursion
patterns that uses type synonym families to provide a view of data types as
the fixed points of  functors.
It defines two type functions

type family PF a :: * -> *             -- returns the pattern functor for a
data type
type family Rep (f :: * -> *) x :: *  -- returns the result type of applying
a functor to a type argument

that can be combined to derive the structurally equivalent sum of products
for some type:

type F a x = Rep (PF a) x

class Mu a where
    inn :: F a a -> a
    out :: a -> F a a

For Haskell polymorphic lists, we need to define:

type instance PF [a] = Const One :+: Const a :*: Id

instance Mu [a] where
    inn (Left _) = []
    inn (Right (x,xs)) = x:xs
    out [] = Left _L
    out (x:xs) = Right (x,xs)

Some of the typical recursion patterns are:

hylo :: Functor (PF b) => b -> (F b c -> c) -> (a -> F b a) -> a -> c
cata :: (Mu a,Functor (PF a)) => a -> (F a b -> b) -> a -> b
ana :: (Mu b,Functor (PF b)) => b -> (a -> F b a) -> a -> b

One simple example is the foldr (catamorphism) for calculating the lenght of
a list:

length :: [a] -> Int
length = cata (_L::[a]) f
    where f = zero \/ succ . snd

> length [1,2,3,4]
4

I have promoted the library into a cabal package (pointless-haskell) today
and am creating an homepage (
http://haskell.di.uminho.pt/wiki/Pointless+Haskell) with examples.

cheers,
hugo