[Haskell-cafe] SDL program under MinGW

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 17:19:12 EST 2008

(http://www.libsdl.org/faq.php?action=listentries&category=4#48)

> Q:	I get "Undefined reference to 'SDL_main'" ...
> A:	Make sure that you are declaring main() as:
>
> #include "SDL.h"
>
> int main(int argc, char *argv[])

In particular notice that they want you to include SDL.h.  I suspect
they are doing something scary like

> #define main(ac, av) SDL_Main(ac, av, maybe some other args)

The problem is that the library itself is defining WinMain, so you've
got a fight between the Haskell compiler (which wants to define the
entry point for your program to start up the runtime), and the SDL
library (which is trying to be "helpful" and failing).

I think the binding needs to not include SDLMain and instead do the
initialization itself; see the rest of that FAQ question.

In fact, the "MACOSX" readme file in the Haskell SDL binding talks
about exactly this problem.

  -- ryan