[Haskell-cafe] A curios monad

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 11 13:26:08 EST 2008

Yesterday I wrote something slightly unusual:

module Storage where

data Storage x
instance Monad Storage
run :: Storage x -> x

data Key v
instance Eq (Key v)
instance Ord (Key v)

new_key :: v -> Storage (Key v)
set_key :: Key v -> v -> Storage ()
get_key :: Key v -> Storage (Maybe v)
delete_key :: Key v -> Storage ()

In other words, you can store a value (of arbitrary type) under a unique
key. The monad chooses what key for you, and tells you the key so you
can look up or alter the value again later. Under the covers, it uses
Data.Map to store stuff. I used some trickery with existential
quantification and unsafeCoerce (!!) to make it work. Notice the sneaky
phantom type in the key, telling the type system what type to coerce the
value back to when you read it. Neat, eh?

...until I realised that somebody that somebody could generate a key in
one run and then try to use it in another run. o_O

Oops!

But hey, until then it was working quite well. And completely pure; no
IO anywhere.

Ah well, just thought I'd share...

(You could of course do away with the monad, but then you'd be able to
manipulate the dictionary directly, and key uniqueness would be even
more fragile!)