[Haskell-cafe] Memoization-question

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Thu Dec 11 15:49:40 EST 2008

Am Donnerstag, 11. Dezember 2008 21:11 schrieb Bulat Ziganshin:
> Hello Daniel,
>
> Thursday, December 11, 2008, 11:09:46 PM, you wrote:
>
> you is almost right. but ghc don't share results of function calls
> despite their type. it just assumes that value of any type may use a
> lot of memory even if this type is trivial :)

I may misunderstand you here. But if you give a type signature specifying a
nice known type, I'm pretty sure ghc _does_ sharing (tried with Int -> Int
and Integer -> Integer, g 200 instantaneous), at least with -O2. Without
sharing, it would require 2^(n+1) - 1 calls to evaluate g n, that wouldn't be
nearly as fast. Without the type signature, it must assume the worst, so it
doesn't share.

> example when automatic sharing is very bad idea is:
>
> main = print (sum[1..10^10] + sum[1..10^10])

Depends on what is shared. Sharing the list would be a very bad idea, sharing
sum [1 .. 10^10] would probably be a good idea.