[Haskell-cafe] Time for a new logo?

Gianfranco Alongi gianfranco.alongi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 04:05:55 EST 2008

I agree on what some people say; I see no point in trying to advertise
"elitism".
Let's avoid the same mistake as the linux community made; soon we'll
have an internal flame war about which monad is the best (linux
distribution flame-wars analog), arguing who's the most 31337 haxxor
and so on.

In my opinion, true elegance comes from being really good at something
without pushing it in the face of others. Let the log say "haskell -
it's elegant" without trying to be posh.

/Gf

2008/12/17 Thomas Davie <tom.davie at gmail.com>:

> On 17 Dec 2008, at 09:26, Luke Palmer wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 1:10 AM, Thomas Davie <tom.davie at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 16 Dec 2008, at 18:40, Darrin Thompson wrote:
>>
>>> ----    ----
>>> \    \  \    \    ------------
>>> \    \  \    \  \            |
>>>  \    \  \    \   -----------
>>>  \    \  \    \
>>>  /    /  /     \    --------
>>>  /    /  /       \  \        |
>>> /    /  /   /\    \   -------
>>> /    /  /   /  \    \
>>> ----    ----     ----
>>
>> Oh please no, please don't let the logo be something that says "Haskell,
>> it's all about monads".
>
> But it's a very pretty logo.  And the idea of "computation abstractions",
> Applicatives and Monads in particular, are a pretty big part of Haskell as a
> language and as a culture.   Haskell, it's not exactly not about monads.
>
> No, I agree, but there's already a large body of literature that implies
> that Haskell is pretty much only about monads, and I'd hate to see the logo
> go the same way.  Though I do take your point about abstractions being a
> major part of the language.
> Bob

Patience is the last resort for those unable to take action