[Haskell-cafe] Logos of Other Languages

Hakim Cassimally hakim.cassimally at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 04:34:17 EST 2008

(pesky non-reply-to-munged lists... here goes again, sorry Ashley for
the duplicate :-)

On 19/12/2008, Ashley Yakeley <ashley at semantic.org> wrote:
> I browsed around a bit for logos from other languages...
<snip>
>  Perl
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e0/Programming-republic-of-perl.png
>  I'm not sure if this is "the Perl logo" or "O'Reilly's Perl logo", but it's
> ugly, busy, difficult to read and a bit obscure. The title "PROGRAMMING
> REPUBLIC OF" also lends an air of snotty pretension. D.

Use of a camel image wrt Perl is trademarked O'Reilly.  They usually
use a plain camel image, the "Programming Republic of" is *a* fairly
common logo, but by no means *the* official logo.

Recently the Perl Foundation and others are promoting an onion logo
(referencing Larry Wall's yearly "State of the Onion" talks, which is
unencumbered by corporate trademarks:

  http://www.perl.org/simages/onion/onion-160x160a.gif

--
osfameron