[Haskell-cafe] "Rewrite thunk action" rule?

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 13:10:15 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Peter Todd <pete at petertodd.org> wrote:

> data Element = Element {
>    elementOrigin :: V,
>    elementSubs :: [Element]
>    }
>     | ElementThunk T Element
>
> transform :: T -> Element -> Element
> transform t (ElementThunk t2 e) = ElementThunk (tmul t t2) e
> transform t e = ElementThunk t e
> transform t e = Element {
>                    elementOrigin = tmulv t (elementOrigin e),
>                    elementSubs = map (transform t) (elementSubs e)
>                    }
>
> This gives a behavior close to what I want, applying a transform to an
> element results in a "thunk", and subsequent transforms simply modify
> the thunk, the problem is that I don't see a way to implicitly coerce an
> ElementThunk into an Element on demand for all the other code in the
> program that expects elements. (such as the elementOrigin function)

Oh!  Okay, studying your code a bit, I think I finally understand what
you're trying to do.  Tell me if I'm wrong.  You have a list of elements es
and a composition of transforms t1,t2,t3, and instead of applying t1, t2,
and t3 to each element, you want to collapse them together into a single
matrix and apply that matrix to each element.

This is definitely a modeling level thing to do; you don't need to go
anywhere near rewrite rules or thinking about internal representations or
anything like that.  A bit of old fashioned abstraction should do the trick.

Your Thunk representation is not that bad.  I can't really weigh the
trade-offs for you.  Keep the data type abstract and only allow access
through functions (like elementOrigin).  Then I don't see the problem with
redefining elementOrigin as:

elementOrigin (Element v subs) = v
elementOrigin (ElementThunk t e) = tmulv t (elementOrigin e)

Keep the number of operations which need to know the representation
(constructors) of Element as small as you can.

Another possibility is this:

data Element = Element
  { elementOrigin :: V
  , elementSubs :: [(T,Element)]
  }

Where, of course, the transform for each sub-element is relative.

Overall I think your "thunk" solution is a very nice trade-off.  (Minor
rhetorical note: I would probably name your ElementThunk constructor
Transform or ElementTransform instead)

Hmm, you have an invariant that the pattern ElementThunk t (ElementThunk t
e) never occurs.  It would be good style to encode this:

data PrimElement = PrimElement { elementOrigin :: V, elementSubs ::
[Element] }
data Element = Element (Maybe T) PrimElement

That Maybe bugs me.  You could factor that out into the T type with a
special optimization for the identity transform.  Hmm, then the
[(T,Element)] encoding and this one are identical.  Fun. :-)

Short answer:  *abstract data type!*

Luke