[Haskell-cafe] Threads with high CPU usage

Günther Schmidt redcom at fedoms.com
Sun Dec 21 16:43:48 EST 2008

Hi,

in an application of mine I start a long-running operation in a thread via
forkIO so that the UI process doesn't get blocked.
It just so happens, that the long-running process also takes the CPU to
nearly 100% while it runs.

During that time the run-time system does *not* switch back and forth
between the UI-process and the long-running task, it seems that the UI
process only gets woken up *after* the high CPU thread finishes completely.

To the effect of course that it makes no difference at all to the UIs
responsiveness whether I use forkIO or not.

The long running process is pretty atomic, it's a single query to the
database which takes up to a minute to complete so I don't see a chance to
squeeze a "mainIteration" in there.

What can I do?

Günther