[Haskell-cafe] Re: Threads with high CPU usage

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 09:55:02 EST 2008

Hello John,

>> And in general we would not even bother with considering using "unsafe"
>> for calls that are already expensive. It's only worth considering when
>> the length of the call is always very short.

the other way to look at it is to measure overhead of safe call.

on 1 GHz Duron i measured 66.000 calls of trivial safe function per
second, meaning 16.000 cpu ticks per call (ghc 6.8). it's rather large
overhead for many trivial functions, but for calls to sql engine it
seems rather small

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com