[Haskell-cafe] Re: Threads with high CPU usage

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 20:14:33 EST 2008

You shouldn't need forkOS, but without -threaded (and related RTS
switches to enable multithreading) I think you are sunk.  Without
enabling multithreading support, you are saying that your program
(which might use concurrency features of Haskell) will run on a single
OS thread.  During a foreign call that never calls back into Haskell,
then, there's no place for the RTS to pre-empt and switch back to
Haskell code.

It's kind of confusing with multiple things named threads; call a
Haskell thread a "lightweight" thread, and an OS thread a "heavy"
thread.  Each heavy thread can either be executing Haskell lightweight
threads, or inside a foreign out-call.  Once you jump across to
foreign-land, the heavy thread can't do anything (even for a "safe"
out-call) until the out-call either makes an in-call back into Haskell
code, or returns.

Enabling -threaded allows the Haskell runtime to create more heavy
threads; even without -threaded you can make as many lightweight
threads as you like and the runtime will handle scheduling them for
you; a heavy thread can carry many light threads.  But a foreign call
takes a whole heavy thread no matter what.

  -- ryan