[Haskell-cafe] Graphical graph reduction

Svein Ove Aas svein.ove at aas.no
Fri Feb 22 11:33:28 EST 2008

2008/2/22  <dainichi at gmail.com>:
> Does anybody know if such a tool exists? I'd be grateful for pointers if it
> does. I very much doubt that I'm the first person who has thoughts like
> this, but then again, who knows. People who really know Haskell might think
> this is too trivial a task to really be worth spending time on.
>
> If nothing similar exists, I was thinking about creating such a tool (i.e.
> an interpreter with additional graph-displaying features) for a very, very
> small subset/dialect of Haskell. I would probably be lazy (no pun intended)
> and start right away with abstract syntax trees to avoid lexing and parsing
> and such. My language of implementation would be SML, using references as
> the edges of the graph.
>
> Any ideas/comments would be welcome.

Rather than spending time on a project specifically to do this, it
seems like a great addition to GHCi's still mostly theoretical
debugger. I'll understand if you don't want to take on such a project
right now, though.

I'm not aware of any program that does exactly what you're asking for,
but I'm attaching a lambdabot interaction for your reading pleasure. I
believe it will speak for itself.

< Baughn> > let fibs = 1 : 1 : zipWith (+) fibs (tail fibs) in fibs :: [Expr]
< lambdabot>  [1,1,1 + 1,1 + (1 + 1),1 + 1 + (1 + (1 + 1)),1 + (1 + 1)
1

--
In a demon-haunted world, science is a candle in the dark
http://dresdencodak.com/