[Haskell-cafe] Connection helpers: for people interested in network code

Adam Langley agl at imperialviolet.org
Fri Feb 29 14:50:34 EST 2008

I generally find that I'm wrapping sockets in the same functions a lot
and now I'm looking writings code which works with both Sockets and
SSL connections. So I wrote a module, presumptuously called
Network.Connection, although I'm not actually going to try and take
that name (even in Hackage) unless I get a general agreement that this
is a good thing.

So, any comments on the interface, similar things that I should look at etc?

http://www.imperialviolet.org/binary/network-connection/Network-Connection.html

I made the BaseConnection an ADT, rather than a class because I wanted
to avoid hitting the monomorphism restriction in code. That might have
been a mistake, I'm not sure yet.

If it doesn't excite anyone enough to reply, I'll change the name and
put it in Hackage, mostly as is. Then I'll tie HsOpenSSL into it so
that SSL connections work transparently.

Cheers,

AGL

--
Adam Langley agl at imperialviolet.org http://www.imperialviolet.org