[Haskell-cafe] Consensus about databases / serialization

Salvatore Insalaco kirby81 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 07:20:26 EST 2008

> ·        regarding Haskell and databases, the page
> http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Libraries_and_tools/Database_interfaces
> describes a few, but which are the ones that are stable and practical? Any
> user experiences?

During my experiments I found Takusen
(http://darcs.haskell.org/takusen/) and HDBC
(http://software.complete.org/hdbc) very useful, even if I liked
Takusen interface more.

> ·        regarding Haskell and serialization, I don't think that
> implementing Read/Show is a good way for real serialization, so what other
> options exist?

I could suggest Data.Binary (http://code.haskell.org/binary/), that is
very well performing and supported.

There are ways to generate instances of Binary automatically. I like
the "Derive" approach most
(http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/darcs/derive/derive.htm), as it uses
Template Haskell and does not require separate pre-processing.