[Haskell-cafe] Basic question concerning the category Hask (was: concerning data constructors)

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Sun Jan 6 06:55:22 EST 2008

Jonathan Cast wrote:
> This isn't a coproduct.  If we have f x = 1 and g y = 2, then there
> should exist a function h such that h . Left = f and h . Right = g...
> But by your rule, Left undefined = Right undefined...
> Which is a contradiction...

OK, thanks.

> Unless, of course,
> your require your functions to be strict --- then both f and g above
> become illegal, and repairing them removes the problem.

You don't have to make them illegal - just not part
of your notion of "coproduct". That is an entirely
category-theoretic concept, since Empty is bi-universal,
and a morphism is strict iff the diagram

A ---> B
 \     ^
  v    /
 Empty

commutes.

However, the coproduct you get is the one I suggested,
namely Either !A !B, not the one we usually use.