[Haskell-cafe] Wikipedia on first-class object

Derek Elkins derek.a.elkins at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 15:13:13 EST 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 09:45 -0800, Jonathan Cast wrote:
> On 6 Jan 2008, at 3:02 AM, Derek Elkins wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 17:54 -0600, Jonathan Cast wrote:
> >
> >> Programming languages are generally classified into three groups,
> >> imperative, functional, and logical.  The difference is in the style
> >> of programming encouraged (or mandated, for older languages) by the
> >> language.
> >
> > Usually the divide is imperative v. declarative with the four major
> > paradigms (procedural, OO and logic, FP respectively) being
> > subgroups of
> > those divisions.
>
> And your explanation of this classification is?
>
> I find the term `declarative' to be almost completely meaningless.

I was originally thinking of having the final sentence: "There are no
clear, accepted meanings for any of these terms."

Many people find any, perhaps all, of the terms: "functional", "object
oriented", "imperative" to be almost completely meaningless.  Mostly the
terms have no prescriptive meaning, but rather are defined by example.

At any rate, I wasn't and didn't explain anything as that was not my
intention.  I was merely pointing out that your usage is against the
"norms" and in a way similar in its disconcertingness to saying,
"American politics is classified into three groups, conservatives,
Democrats and libertarians."