[Haskell-cafe] confusion about 'instance'....

Nicholls, Mark Nicholls.Mark at mtvne.com
Thu Jan 10 08:03:06 EST 2008

Should be straight forward....simplest example is...

class A a

data D = D1

instance A D

fine.....D is declared to be a member of type class A....

what about.....

class A a

type T = (forall x.Num x=>x)

instance A T

error!...

" Illegal polymorphic or qualified type: forall x. (Num x) => x
    In the instance declaration for `A T'"

I am simply trying to state that all members of typeclass Num are of
typeclass A....

Doesn't like it.

Does this mean that instance only operates on 'atomic' (for want of a
better word) types?