[Haskell-cafe] Re: Tim Sweeney (the gamer)

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 14:00:05 EST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 1:49 PM, Achim Schneider <barsoap at web.de> wrote:
> "Sebastian Sylvan" <sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > You make less bugs with that language? Fucking learn to write C++!
> >
> > Excuse me?
> >
> A probable exclamation of a pointy-haired boss, that is. What I wanted
> to say is that if you tell such a guy that you'll make less bugs in
> language X, he would assume that you can't program properly at all or
> in the language you're supposed to be programming in.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but if we are still talking about the games
industry I don't think this fits my experience of bosses. Games
compete very much on performance, and we basically rewrite almost all
of our code over a few years or so anyway (though not all at once). I
think that means the games industry is very well suited to be at the
forefront of adopting new technology, but there would have to be a
fairly disruptive change in order for someone to say, for example,
"right, let's rewrite all our runtime code in Haskell". Concurrency
does seem pretty disruptive.

--
Sebastian Sylvan
+44(0)7857-300802