[Haskell-cafe] Draft chapters of "Real World Haskell" now publicly available

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Mon Jan 21 17:51:31 EST 2008

Am Montag, 21. Januar 2008 20:53 schrieb Bryan O'Sullivan:
> John, Don and I are pleased to announce the beginning of the public beta
> programme for our upcoming book, "Real World Haskell".  For further
> details, please see the following blog entry:
>
> http://www.realworldhaskell.org/blog/2008/01/21/finally-the-public-beta-pro
>gramme-begins/
>
> Thanks to all of the Haskell community members who have so far performed
> sterling service in commenting on our closed drafts.
>
> We look forward to your feedback!
>
> 	<b

Since my browser currently can't load http://book.realworldhaskell.org/beta/,
what I found reading the first chapter comes this way.

Overall: good style, nice contents.

Operator precedence and associativity:
the ghci command in question (and used in the example box) is :info, not
:type.

range notation:
"Range notation makes no sense for rational numbers, for example, because
there is not a countable number of rationals."
There are only countably many rational numbers, and we have
instance (Integral a) => Enum (Ratio a)
(with the same implementation as for Floating point numbers).

The joy of "it":
"When we couple 'it' with liberal use of the arrow keys to recall and edit the
last expression we typed, and this gives us a fairly decent environment for
interactive experiments, where the cost of mistakes is very low."

That sentence is broken. One possible fix could be
"We can couple 'it' with liberal use of the arrow keys to recall and edit the
last expression we typed. This gives us a fairly decent environment for
interactive experiments where the cost of mistakes is very low."
You can probably do better.

I look forward to buying and reading that book:)

Cheers,
Daniel