[Haskell-cafe] Yi and Data.ByteString

gwern0 at gmail.com gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 20:02:47 EST 2008

On 2008.01.22 01:39:33 +0100, Cetin Sert <cetin.sert at gmail.com> scribbled 3.4K characters:
>    -- Yi
>
>    that's the error message I got following the instructions on
>    http://www.nobugs.org/developer/yi/building.html
>
>    setup: At least the following dependencies are missing:
>        fingertree -any
>    make: *** [dist/setup-config] Error 1
>
>    Where can I get fingertree from? Do I need a specific version of this package?

http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/fingertree-0.0

Always a good idea to check Hackage when dependencies are missing.

>    -- Data.ByteString
>
>    Where can I read more about GHC options like -XOverloadedStrings or this ":: ByteString" type
>    declaration?

The ByteString API documentation, presumably.

>    I did not know ByteString was less performant than a linked list of characters. It is used
>    even in the language shootout benchmark programs.
>
>    Cetin

As Don said, it's a matter of domain. For small amounts of data, the overhead erases the performance gains - although no one is denying that for medium (like you see on the Shootout) to large amounts of data (up to tera-, I think someone benchmarked) ByteString is excellent.

--
gwern
O/S bet pipe-bomb SARA Adriatic BSS M5 LBSD NOCS CBNRC