[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why functional programming matters

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Thu Jan 24 21:35:15 EST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 1:45 AM, Peter Hercek <phercek at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> On the other side there are downsides like what to do instead of
>  reactive GUIs? GUI is a big part for a lot of applications. [...]

GUIs can be expressed in a *much* more direct and modular way in functional
programming than imperative programming.  See
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/TV and
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Phooeyfor examples.  No inversion of
control is necessary.  And not just for GUIs,
but for reactive systems in general.  See
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Reactive and http://haskell.org/yampa/ .

I'd cite easy & modular GUIs as a strong advantage of functional
programming.

Just to be clear, I mean really *functional* programming, not imperative
programming in Haskell (IO).

  - Conal