The programming language market (was Re: [Haskell-cafe] Why functional programming matters

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 15:11:48 EST 2008

On 1/26/08, Paul Johnson <paul at cogito.org.uk> wrote:
> Tim Chevalier wrote:
> > This is true only if talking to people in high-income nations.
> >
> Even in low-income nations, its only false in the short term.  If you
> have skilled programmers with computers and Internet connections then
> their wages inflate to the world norm.  IIRC India is seeing 20%/year
> wage inflation for comp-sci graduates.  And thats without the impact of
> H1-B and related programmes around the world.

It's true that India seems to be going in that direction, but
personally I don't feel I have the background or temerity to suggest
that it will definitely happen for the rest of the world.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://cs.pdx.edu/~tjc * Often in error, never in doubt
"We're born, we live for a brief instant, and we die. Technology is