The programming language market (was Re: [Haskell-cafe] Why functional programming matters

Jan-Willem Maessen jmaessen at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jan 28 08:49:12 EST 2008

On Jan 27, 2008, at 11:05 PM, Dipankar Ray wrote:

> thanks for the correction - very informative! that'll teach me to
> just go to the opencourseware site at MIT only...

On that note, I'll point out that many (roughly half?) the
undergraduate CS majors at MIT do a 5 year combined bachelor's /
master's program.  Many of them take the graduate programming
languages course (6.821), which has good coverage of semantics and
type inference.

That said, there's a good deal of skepticism about functional
programming among many MIT faculty members just as there is at
Berkeley.  If you want to hear an entertaining story some day, ask me
in person about my Ph.D. thesis defense.

-Jan-Willem Maessen