[Haskell-cafe] anybody can tell me the pronuncation of "haskell"?

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 20:06:58 EST 2008

On 1/28/08, Tim Chevalier <catamorphism at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/28/08, Jeremy Shaw <jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > If my sources are to be believed, the following clip contains Simon
> > Peyton Jones saying 'Haskell' several times.
> >
> > http://www.n-heptane.com/nhlab/spj-haskell.wav
> >

> I have listened to Simon (and other equally sage folks) say "Haskell"
> on a few occasions and I believe that it's more like what I tried to
> render in text. Perhaps you've listened equally carefully but
> disagree; perhaps neither of us is wrong. the English language is
> weird that way.
>
> I suppose you would really want to ask Haskell Curry how *he*
> pronounced his name, but it's a bit late for that.

I should really read more carefully -- I see now that you weren't
trying to disagree with me by posting that clip, but the person who
*did* disagree with me was also named "Jeremy". How confusing.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://cs.pdx.edu/~tjc * Often in error, never in doubt
"People. Can't live with 'em, can't legally set fire to 'em." -- Sheree Schrager