[Haskell-cafe] Re: Interesting feature

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Mon Jul 7 22:25:29 EDT 2008

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 02:57:25 -0700 (PDT), fero
<frantisek.kocun at gmail.com> wrote:

If you are interested in logic programming in a language with some
similarity to Haskell, you might also wish to investigate the strongly
typed logic programming language Godel (see
http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~bowers/goedel.html).  When I first saw an
example of the code, I was surprised that, unlike Prolog, the language
was strongly typed, and supported modules, and (albeit very loosely)
resembled Haskell, except that it was a logic programming language.

Here is an example of a program in Godel to compute a greatest common
divisor (note the strong typing and usage of a module system) (see
http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~bowers/goedel-example.html):

MODULE      GCD.

IMPORT      Integers.

PREDICATE   Gcd : Integer * Integer * Integer.

Gcd(i,j,d) <-
            CommonDivisor(i,j,d) &
            ~ SOME [e] (CommonDivisor(i,j,e) & e > d).

PREDICATE   CommonDivisor : Integer * Integer * Integer.

CommonDivisor(i,j,d) <-
            IF (i = 0 \/ j = 0)
            THEN
              d = Max(Abs(i),Abs(j))
            ELSE
              1 =< d =< Min(Abs(i),Abs(j)) &
              i Mod d = 0 &
              j Mod d = 0.

According to the home page for the language,

> Go"del is a declarative, general-purpose programming language in the family of
> logic programming languages. It is a strongly typed language, the type system
> being based on many-sorted logic with parametric polymorphism. It has a
> module system. Go"del supports infinite precision integers, infinite precision
> rationals, and also floating-point numbers. It can solve constraints over finite
> domains of integers and also linear rational constraints. It supports processing
> of finite sets. It also has a flexible computation rule and a pruning operator
> which generalises the commit of the concurrent logic programming languages.
> Considerable emphasis is placed on Go"del's meta- logical facilities which provide
> significant support for meta-programs that do analysis, transformation,
> compilation, verification, debugging, and so on.

-- Benjamin L. Russell