[Haskell-cafe] Qualified import syntax badly designed (?)

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Wed Jul 9 07:23:08 EDT 2008

Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi
>
>> declaration with a regular syntax. For example:
>>
>>     import Data.Map as Map
>>         unqualified (Map, (\\))
>>         qualified   (lookup, map, null)
>>         hiding      (filter)
>
> I think I prefer this to my proposal, plus its closer to the current
> syntax. I think its also nearly equal to what Tom Davie came up with,
> given some keyword renaming. If we dropped the unqualified keyword,
> and just required unqualified things to come directly after, we get
> the full benefits of not introducing any keywords.

We're still not introducing any keywords either way, fortunately :-).
'qualified', 'as' and 'hiding' are not keywords: the syntax after
'import' has no place for lowercase identifiers, so we can use as many
new words as we want, here, as long as module names stay capitalized and
import lists remain parenthesized (or, import lists could equally well
be in layout after 'where', 'of', 'let' or 'do' if we adopt the layout
syntax)

-Isaac