[Haskell-cafe] Re: QuickCheck [Architecturally flawed]

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 20:29:54 EDT 2008

I think you can use the duality of Writer/Reader to help you here; you
have the law that, for suitable "dual" computations r and w,

run_reader r (run_writer (w x)) == x

Then you can build up a list of rules specifying which computations
are dual; read64 is dual to write64, for example.  You can then have
some laws like:

if r1 is dual to w1, and r2 is dual to w2,
then
    r1 >>= \x -> r2 >>= \y -> (x,y)
is dual to
    \(x,y) -> w1 x >> w2 y

if r1 is dual to w1, and r2 is dual to w2,
then
   read1 >>= \b -> case b of True -> liftM Left r1 ; False -> liftM Right r2
is dual to
   \x -> case x of Left l -> w1 l; Right r -> w2 r

You can then use these to build up more complicated reader/writer
duals and verify that the main "identity" law holds.

It's a little bit tricky; QuickCheck is not good at dealing with
polymorphic data, but you could generalize this to a simple term ADT:
   data SimpleTerm = Leaf Word8 Word32 | Pair SimpleTerm SimpleTerm |
Switch (Either SimpleTerm SimpleTerm) deriving Eq

and make a suitable "arbitrary" instance for SimpleTerm to test your
reader/writer.  Leaf would test readN/writeN, or you can make custom
leaves to test the other operations.

  -- ryan