[Haskell-cafe] Human-friendly compiler errors for GHC

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Jul 13 19:42:04 EDT 2008

> Don't be discouraged; I think it would be useful. IMO, Haskellers tend to be pretty insensitive when it comes to usability.
>
> For example, before the GHC devs were asked for that feature, I wonder whether anyone ever thought: "Hey, when ghc -Wall complains about having no type signature - why doesn't it print out the inferred type signature? That would be helpful and convenient."
>
> I don't think it's because there's any sort of gung-ho elitism there, it's just not something anyone but the educators like the Helium folk really think about much.

I've been thinking about stuff like this as well.
It happens to me as well that I spend minutes on finding an error till I
notice that I've misspelled a word.. but this has been while programming
PHP. In haskell this kind of error tends to take much less time IMHO.

There is a "friendlier" shell (don't remember it's name) which takes
another approach:
Change color if the word is known.. In case of ghci the commandline
could switch color to green before pressing enter to indicate there are
no errors left..

Marc