[Haskell-cafe] Getting latest GHC-head/libraries takes forever

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 15 21:02:20 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 19:45 -0500, Austin Seipp wrote:
> For the purpose of experimenting with NDP I went through the
> process of getting the GHC head from darcs.haskell.org. As
> specified in the developer wiki[1], using darcs get is basically
> not possible because there're so many patches. So I downloaded
>
> http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc-HEAD-2008-06-06-ghc-corelibs-testsuite.tar.bz2
>
> This alone took over *7 hours* using wget because it could never get
> a connection faster than 5kb/s.

darcs.haskell.org is still being throttled. The server move means the
machine itself has more bandwidth but the apache http server is still
configured to limit connection speed. I believe this is supposed to
change at some point but I don't know when.

I've no idea about what's going on with darcs though. I know there are
some issues with case-insensitive file systems or as you speculate it
might be a darcs 1 vs 2 issue. Ask a darcs expert.

Duncan