[Haskell-cafe] uvector and the stream interface

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Thu Jul 17 13:53:23 EDT 2008

Evan Laforge wrote:
>> An abstraction stack:
>>
>>    Impure              Pure
>
> How about strict vs. lazy?  I ask because I assumed there were lazy
> variants of uvector or storablevector, using the bytestring list of
> chunks approach, but apparently not?

wait.... "list of chunks" makes something that behaves not like a
random-access array, and yet is still rather strict in the elements.
How about strict vs. lazy as in UArray vs. Array: whether the elements
are evaluated lazily (although UArray has the complication that the
elements must also be Storable: e.g. what if you want a strict
random-access array of functions -- so there is not such an easy
solution for a strict but boxed array).

so do we have at least three different variables here? :-)

-Isaac