[Haskell-cafe] Space leaks

Justin Bailey jgbailey at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 16:58:03 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Peter Gavin <pgavin at gmail.com> wrote:

> evaluated anywhere.  I've used retainer profiling, and the functions that
> are leaking space according to the profiler output are strict throughout.

Have you looked at the Core code generated? That might show something that
isn't strict which you think is. I believe "let" statements in Core
represent allocations, while "case" statements are strict.

In case you don't know, the best thing you can do to read core is to add
comment annotations ({-# CORE "..." #-} I think), which will help you
pinpoint which Haskell gets turned into core. To produce core with 6.8, use
the -fext-core flag.

Justin