[Haskell-cafe] Cabal files on Windows

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 28 09:31:15 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 21:01 -0500, John Lato wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Duncan Coutts

> > Use Haskell String syntax for paths that contain spaces:
> >
> > include-dirs:  "C:\\Program Files\\program\\include"
>
> Hi Duncan,
>
> Thanks, this worked (mostly).  Although I had to change the line to
>
> include-dirs: "\"C:\\Program Files\\program\\include\""
>
> so that the path would be passed properly to cpp through c2hs.

Oh, that must be a bug. Can you file it here please with details of
exactly how to reproduce it:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/

> Is this documented anywhere?  I've been poring over the cabal guide
> trying to find this, with no success.

Yes, though perhaps not very clearly:
http://haskell.org/cabal/release/latest/doc/users-guide/authors.html#pkg-descr

        The syntax of the value depends on the field. Field types
        include:

        token , filename , directory

                Either a sequence of one or more non-space non-comma
                characters, or a quoted string in Haskell 98 lexical
                syntax. Unless otherwise stated, relative filenames and
                directories are interpreted from the package root
                directory.

Suggestions for improvement welcome. Even better would be patches. The
user guide is in the Cabal repo in doc/Cabal.xml in docbook format.

Duncan