[Haskell-cafe] Libevent FFI problems

Adam Langley agl at imperialviolet.org
Mon Jul 28 14:28:48 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 4:34 AM, Levi Greenspan
<greenspan.levi at googlemail.com> wrote:
> client: internal error: awaitEvent: descriptor out of range
>    (GHC version 6.8.3 for i386_unknown_linux)
>    Please report this as a GHC bug:
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug
> Aborted
>
> This is caused by having more file descriptors than FD_SETSIZE (which is
> 1024) on my system. So clearly select() doesn't scale to the numbers I
> need :-(

Now, *thats* a good point. I'd still suggest that taking the time to
add epoll support to the threaded runtime would be better for you(,
and for everyone else!) than avoiding the use of GHC threads. But,
with that error, you're correct that the current select based system
is insufficient.

AGL

--
Adam Langley agl at imperialviolet.org http://www.imperialviolet.org