[Haskell-cafe] Problem compiling a CGI script that needs to write to file during its execution

allan a.d.clark at ed.ac.uk
Tue Jul 29 12:07:23 EDT 2008

Hi

I had this same problem and I'm not sure my way is correct but I used 'Control.Monad.Trans.liftIO'
Here is some code that I am using

{-
  The main program is pretty simple we just run the CGI action.
-}
main :: IO ()
main =  Cgi.runCGI $ Cgi.handleErrors cgiMain

{-
  To be able to produce graphs which we can then display in the output
  webpage we require that our main function, that is the one which creates
  the page be in the IO monad.
-}
cgiMain :: CGI CGIResult
cgiMain =
  do visitInfo <- getAnalysisData
     page      <- Monad.Trans.liftIO $ createPage visitInfo
     Cgi.output $ Xhtml.renderHtml page

createPage :: Visit -> IO Html
createPage ..... blah stuff you don't care about

getAnalysisData :: CGI Visit

Visit is a data type I've made to hold the information obtained from the page.

Hope this helps
allan

Jefferson Heard wrote:
> Please ignore the obvious security holes, as this is not a script
> meant for public consumption, but some internal testing and
> prototyping.  I would like to write the result of my computation out
> to a file inside of cgiMain, but the type of the monad inside cgiMain
> is this odd CGIT IO CGIResult.  I tried using liftM on writeFile, but
> it then complained that "newanns" was a string instead of a list of
> strings, which I don't understand at all.  Here's the code:
>
> DeleteAnnotation.hs:

[snip code]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.