[Haskell-cafe] Re: Best book/tutorial on category theory and its applications

Pierre-Evariste Dagand pedagand at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 18:31:24 EDT 2008

> Does _Conceptual Mathematics_ discuss monads?

I'm currently working on it, I'm at section 13 with Monoids but there
are no Monads at the horizon.

I have briefly gone through the end of the book and did not recognize
anything similar to a Monad. But I might not be able to recognize a
Monad in a category theory presentation, though.

However, as a complete n00b in category theory, I find this book
perfect. I tried Mac Lane's book ("Categories for the working
mathematician") first but I was distracted by the notations and the
long, painful mathematical sentences. Nevertheless, none of these
books are computer scientist-oriented.

I have been recommended "Categories for Types" by Crole. I plan to
work on it after Conceptual Mathematic and Mac Lane's book. Right now,
I've now real opinion about it: at first glance, it looks as technical
as Mac Lane's book. I believe some enlightened people here could give
more useful review of it.

HTH,

--
Pierre-Evariste DAGAND