[Haskell-cafe] Ghc / cgi static linking

Peter Gammie peteg42 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 21:27:56 EDT 2008

On 02/06/2008, at 5:26 AM, Don Stewart wrote:

> pieter:
> Yes, it is entirely possible to statically link entire CGI apps.

You might want to watch out for a bug in GHC 6.8.2 that means GHC's "-
static" flag doesn't work. (At least for me, at least on Debian: the "-
lpthread" flag is passed before the "-lrt" one, and symbols are left
unresolved as a result.) Apparently the near-to-release 6.8.3 will fix
this issue.

Presumably dons is using a more recent GHC than 6.8.2, or other (BSD?)
platforms are not affected.

Note also you may have to tweak sundry .cabal files to add "extra-
libraries" fields. As an example, I added this to HSQL's PostgreSQL
backend to get it to statically link:

extra-libraries: pq, crypt, pthread

(If anyone cares you need to build PostgreSQL without kerberos as that
doesn't seem to statically link any more.)

cheers
peter

--
http://peteg.org/