[Haskell-cafe] hs-plugins compile error

John O'Donnell jtod at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Tue Jun 3 10:07:33 EDT 2008

Hi,

What is the status of hs-plugins?  I recently tried to install the
version plugins-1.2 on hackage, using a Gnu/Linux box with Fedora 9
and ghc-6.8.2, but didn't get past the configure stage (see config.log
below).

The installation script is invoking gcc with a -V command line argument
but according to gcc documentation -V requires an argument.

Has anyone managed to get hs-plugins to work?  If so, what platform,
which version of ghc and gcc, and where did you find the hs-plugins
source?

Best wishes,
John O'Donnell

... from config.log...
gcc version 4.3.0 20080428 (Red Hat 4.3.0-8) (GCC)
configure:1852: $? = 0
configure:1854: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:1857: $? = 1
configure:1880: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:1883: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
conftest.c:9:13: warning: missing terminating " character
conftest.c:10: error: stray '\33' in program
conftest.c:10: error: expected identifier or '(' before '[' token
conftest.c:10:4: error: invalid suffix "h" on integer constant
conftest.c:10:9: warning: missing terminating " character
conftest.c:10: error: missing terminating " character
configure:1886: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define LEADING_UNDERSCORE 0
| #define TOP "/home/jtod/system/installs/hs-plugins/hs-plugins-1.2
| ESC[?1034h"
| #define WITH_GHC "ghc"
| #define GHC_LIB_PATH "/usr/local/lib/ghc-6.8.2"
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:1925: error: C compiler cannot create executables